Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Final Table Time or How to Suckout Like CJ

As promised, I played another 180 SnG at PokerStars tonight. Unfortunately I didn't fare so well, and limped out in 126th. Oh well, I thought. Guess I may as well jump in the next one. This turned out to be a stellar decision, as I finished in 2nd - my second finish in the top 3 in my four attempts at the 180 SnG. Unfortunately neither of those finishes is No. 1. I can feel mollified by the fact that I had my heads up opponent all-in and behind, but he managed to suckout on me. Hey, at least he apologised.

But let this be a lesson: as CJ would say, sucking out should be part of your arsenal. I have tried to take this onboard, and was able to use it to my advantage. A suckout sparked a rush that put me in place to play heads up. As you can see below, I followed the rules for sucking out, including calling for my card.

PokerStars Game #3682513013: Tournament #18271419, Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (1000/2000) - 2006/01/18 - 22:29:53 (ET)
Table '18271419 13' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: rc II (41901 in chips)
Seat 2: weimoxer (6977 in chips)
Seat 3: GrazzH0pper (23670 in chips)
Seat 4: bling 75 (53136 in chips)
Seat 5: JwKnight (26541 in chips)
Seat 6: Duece xx (19375 in chips)
Seat 7: baeringss (43388 in chips)
Seat 8: MiamiMac (22584 in chips)
Seat 9: Garthmeister (32428 in chips)
rc II: posts the ante 100
weimoxer: posts the ante 100
GrazzH0pper: posts the ante 100
bling 75: posts the ante 100
JwKnight: posts the ante 100
Duece xx: posts the ante 100
baeringss: posts the ante 100
MiamiMac: posts the ante 100
Garthmeister: posts the ante 100
Duece xx: posts small blind 1000
baeringss: posts big blind 2000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Garthmeister [Js Ah]
MiamiMac: folds
Garthmeister: raises 4000 to 6000
rc II: folds
weimoxer: folds
GrazzH0pper: folds
bling 75: folds
JwKnight: folds
Duece xx: raises 13275 to 19275 and is all-in
baeringss: folds
Garthmeister: calls 13275
*** FLOP *** [5c 6d 6s]
Garthmeister said, "Ruh roh"
Garthmeister said, "A!"
Garthmeister said, "A!"
*** TURN *** [5c 6d 6s] [Ts]
Garthmeister said, "A!"
*** RIVER *** [5c 6d 6s Ts] [Ad]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Duece xx: shows [Qs Qd] (two pair, Queens and Sixes)
Garthmeister: shows [Js Ah] (two pair, Aces and Sixes)
MiamiMac said, "YES!"
Garthmeister collected 41450 from pot
bling 75 said, "ouch"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 41450 | Rake 0
Board [5c 6d 6s Ts Ad]
Seat 1: rc II folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: weimoxer folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: GrazzH0pper folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: bling 75 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: JwKnight (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Duece xx (small blind) showed [Qs Qd] and lost with two pair, Queens and Sixes
Seat 7: baeringss (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: MiamiMac folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Garthmeister showed [Js Ah] and won (41450) with two pair, Aces and Sixes



I should add here that it was MiamiMac, the player who cheered after my suckout, who ended up taking out the tournament. Truly a Sultan of the Suckout.

As for the tournament itself, I had the best start to any tournament I have ever had. Every move I made worked out perfectly, and I was able to benefit from judicious flops and the poor play of my opponents. By the end of the first hour I had 11k, just over 7 times the starting stack! I ended up being chip leader for a good two hours, before we all bunched up as we got into the money. I went from the hand where I had A-J to clear chip leader with 4 left, and went into heads up with a small advantage (and only because MiamiMac had taken out both other players on the same hand).

When we were heads up I was chipping away before a hand where I flopped two pair, and his Ace hit. We got it all in on the turn, but his kicker paired on the river. That brought us back to about even, and we jousted a bit more. I dropped a couple of hands before the killer: my K-J hit a Jack on the turn... unfortunately his set of 7s was made on the flop. No more suckouts, game over.

Overall I am more than happy with my play, in fact I'm pretty damned pleased. It's also gratifying to have managed to convert such a white hot start into not only a final table finish, but a top 2. Obviously I am going to keep playing these 180 SnGs, and hopefully my good run will continue.

And soon I will get that No. 1.

2 Comments:

  • Way to crush the competition, again.

    By Blogger Wes, at 1:28 AM  

  • Hey Wes - I had trouble getting to your blog, and to your blogger profile. Is something up?

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home