Thursday, January 12, 2006

Omatard

The DADI Omalympics were a lot of fun. It was my first ever Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo tournament, and a good change up from the normal Hold 'Em tourneys. I have played a little bit of Omaha Hi/Lo, having been previously inspired by Sir Waffle to take a shot at the cash tables. But let me emphasise this: I have played it only a little. I started off on the same table as Felicia, who proceeded to give me pointers on my extremely flaky play.

As Wes pointed out in a comment on my previous post, at one point he gave me most of his stack, yet he made the final table. What did I do with his stack? Ran it up to almost 5k, and then proceeded to donate it to a fine gentleman who insisted on being dealt pocket Aces every few hands,
who also made the final table. (Note: so what was I doing tangling with that fine gentleman? Uh... I thought he was bluffing?) Me? Finished 19th out of 47. Respectable, while still being underperformance given my position when my lack of Omaha skillz was exposed.

One theory is that I had too much to drink before the tournament. This is clearly a stupid theory, and even if one was going to try and use it the drinks were work-subsidised and therefore exempt. The second theory is that I didn't drink enough. This holds a lot more water, given that my only deep run in a blogger tournament was fueled by 2 bottles of wine (I still can't quite remember how I busted out in 4th - or whatever place it was - but I am imagining I was being stupidly aggressive). Of course the extra drinking may have resulted in me busting out sooner, but the point is I would also have been drunker, so it evens out. The third theory is that I suck at Omaha PLO8. I think I will let history decide.

Congratulations to Sir Waffle, Felicia, Veneno and the rest of the final table, especially the winner, Jestocost.

Not sure if Wil is running a tournament on Stars tonight, but at any rate I am meant to be going out to dinner for my belated birthday. If it's on, I still might be able to make it.

3 Comments:

  • I don't even remember what I said.

    Regardless, I shouldn't have been giving advice or suggestions at the table. Although I was not paying attention, and upset at the time, that was extremely bad etiquette.

    Since I mostly play cash games now, I forgot to keep my mouth shut during the tourney. I tend to think of the bloggers as "friends" that I just want to help out, and that is off-limits in the middle of a pay event.

    By Blogger Felicia :), at 4:02 PM  

  • The only thing I remember was "don't ever slowplay PLO8" - just after my nut flush on the flop turned into a split pot.

    But hey, could have been worse. Daddy could have said "Don't tap the glass!"

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:39 PM  

  • I'm of the theory, "the mo booze the mo betta."

    By Blogger Donkeypuncher, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home