Sunday, February 26, 2006

Dropping the Hammer on Cancer

Sometimes it can be hard to remember that there are things bigger than poker, especially when some donkey hits a 2-outer to crack your Aces. This Sunday there was a tournament to help out an engaged couple, Rich and Jill, who received terrible news just before last Christmas. Jill was diagnosed with Leukemia and admitted to Johns Hopkins. The buy-in for the tournament was 10+16, with $15 going to the couple to help out. Details about the situation are here.

Cancer is something that has affected almost everyone, whether personally or through someone close. The tournament came at a poignant time for me as a very close friend of my family passed away from cancer yesterday back in Australia. I signed up determined to win the whole freaking thing so I could donate the winnings to Jill and Rich.

For whatever reason I was much more aggressive than normal. I took down the first pot with A-Q, and for more than an hour the best hand I saw was 7-7. But I chipped up and chipped up, using aggression and getting into pots where the price was right - oh yeah, and hitting flops. That helped a lot.

With the money looming I had gotten myself into the chip lead, but managed to run into some big hands. I made the final table, but got my A-Q up against Q-Q, and that's all she wrote. I did manage to take down a bounty, scoring a FT jacket and my buy-in back along the way. I felt a little deflated, as 8th wasn't the position on my mind. Nonetheless I transferred my winnings to the account name given to me.

For all of those bloggers who weren't able to attend but would still like to do something, can I suggest transferring $15 (the amount for each buy-in that went to the couple) to the Full Tilt account Macadoshus. If you would like to make sure that it is known what the transfer is for (though I am assuming that it is obvious enough), email poker-babe at verizon dot net and let her know. She was one of those involved, and gave her address to me.

Despite the fact it was a non-traditional blogger event, what would it be without dropping the hammer? For your viewing pleasure I present these two beauties:



Also, apologies to the blogger gang I was chatting to during the tournament when I logged off abruptly once I was done. I needed to have a good cry and to call home.

Rest in peace Lorette.

3 Comments:

  • Great game, GM, and thank you so much for all you did to help our cause. It was a great pleasure having you, your table presence was delightful. Major kudos, and please, if there is anything we can do to help you in the future, just sing out. FOOTY FOOTY FOOTY!

    By Blogger SlySelea, at 10:07 PM  

  • My condolences Garth...I've been there myself far too often.

    By Blogger katitude, at 10:43 PM  

  • I been sitting with this comment section for a few minutes now trying to think of what to say.

    Losing a friend is difficult, but even more so when it involves cancer. I have been there too.

    It does remind me how unimportant my problems are in comparison.

    My thoughts are with you as you grieve the loss of your friend.

    *big hug*

    By Blogger Veneno, at 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home