Thursday, March 23, 2006

Dream Hands and Mookie Redemption

Do you ever daydream about perfect poker hands that send a lot of money your way? Uh... me neither. In case you do, here's one to chew on:

You have just sat down at a o.25/0.50 NL Hold'em table at FullTilt. There are four other bloggers at the table. Blogger #1 is in the SB, Blogger #2 in the BB. You are the first limper from MP, non-blogger behind you also limps, Blogger #1 completes, Blogger #2 checks. Flop comes down K-6-8 all spades. Blogger #1 bets $4 into the $2 pot. Blogger #2 calls. You call. Non-blogger raises it up to $20. Blogger #1 goes all-in for $2 or so more. Blogger #2 pushes over the top for $60 or so. You call. Non-blogger folds.

Blogger #1 had a baby flush, Blogger #2 was drawing to the second nut flush. Non-blogger later claims to also have had a flush. You had flopped the nut flush. No straight flush draw for anybody. The $150 pot goes to you.

Wish I had a screenshot.

__________________________________

After hands of the dreamy nature I jumped into Mookie's Tournament. In the past I have suffered extreme junk trauma in this tourney when participants have just hammered my groin region. And not in a good way. I warned all and sundry that I was wearing a cup, and jumped in. Mookie live-blogged the tournament here.

The junk protection held up, and I was even able to re-suckout on somone who clanged their foot off my protected family jewels at one point. I had also knocked back quite a lot of red wine by this stage, so I don't have many hands to talk about as the details are pretty fuzzy. After dodging bullets I managed to get lemur my way into the money, and then get heads up with Texascrzylad, albeit it at a 3:1 chip disadvantage. The blinds were still tolerable, so I was able to work the speed bag, taking a lot of small pots while avoiding the big pots unless I had the nuts or a monster (OK, so I got no monsters). This turned out to be a good strategy as I was able to get out to a 2:1 advantage, though I couldn't bring it to an end. When we were back to about even (I was ever-so-slightly covered) I looked down and saw 6-6. All the money goes in, except that Texascrzylad has J-J. Whups! And I go out in 2nd.

I was a bit annoyed, as I really feel I should have won, but kudos to
Texascrzylad for hanging in there and taking it out. Pocket pairs are usually gold HU. This time it was just Fool's Gold.

*kick in The Stone Roses, fade to black*

__________________________

Good luck to everyone participating in the Heads Up Challenge. I am most likely going to be in a bar getting wasted and watching College basketball, but I may end up railbirding at some stage. Drunken, incoherent railbirding. Cheers!

7 Comments:

  • Lotsa fun. Gotta get me one of them titanium-kevlar cups for the next one.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 12:15 PM  

  • Was impressed with your comeback last night, especially with being able to play small pot poker. Do you remember what you had that big hand when you had her down to 11k and came back over the top to take a big pot and almost even things up ?

    By Blogger mookie99, at 2:08 PM  

  • No freaking clue my man, but the answer was probably "junk". There was no reason for me to get mixed up in a big hand unless I had a monster as I was winning all the other pots (which is one reason why I am a little annoyed I got it in with 6-6). I think she started to catch on later, as she started to play back (a little), but essentially anytime I felt she had something I let my hand go.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 2:11 PM  

  • Great job!!! I was "rooting" for you to get 1st though...lol (inside joke)

    By Blogger surflexus, at 3:38 PM  

  • Nice finish. Well done. Now just bubble out in all of the rest of your 45 player SNGs and all will be well... ;-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4:00 PM  

  • Cheers Surflexus! Hope you scored.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:03 PM  

  • Matt - I don't think you have to worry. My mojo isn't working in the 45 SnGs. I am now scared of them, bigtime.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home