Monday, March 20, 2006

The People's Champ

No, the headline does not refer to me - it's for Gracie, who kicked arse and took names to become the winner of the first WPBT satellite to get someone in a WSOP tournament. She beat a very impressive field to take the $1500 tournament of her choice. We all wish her well.

So how was my effort in the tournament? About standard recently for my Blogger forays. Let's review my stat line:

High Water Mark: 3rd
Number of Hammers dropped: 2
Number of Hands Misplayed: 2
Number of Hands Seriously Misplayed, Costing Me My Tournament Life: 1
Finish: 41st of 69
Time Spent: Approx. 2 hours

I am about to say something obvious: I play my best when I go with my instincts. In blogger tournaments recently I am out-thinking myself - making moves and plays that I just don't make in any other situation. The hand which sent me to the rail was such a loose, bad play it is haunting. But I know what I did wrong, and I'll try to learn from it moving forward. That includes trying to play my game, and not doing anything silly.

I did manage to cripple Bobby Bracelet in a blind war when he had the misfortune to have A-Q when an Ace flopped and a Q hit the turn... I had A-A you see. Hard to get away from that one.

One final note regarding the tournament - as noted by a couple of others, why the 9pm EST start? There are a lot of people who work on the East Coast that just can't make that time on a Sunday night. As it's the weekend, wouldn't a 6pm or even 7pm start work just as well? If nothing else it might garner us more participants, which can't be a bad thing.

_____________________________

I managed to play more poker than I thought I would on the weekend. The first session was a post-binge-drinking St Patrick's Day fest. 3am, me and my laptop, managing to win $23 in half an hour. Nice.

On Saturday night I played a few of those retardo-sized rebuy events on Stars - my big effort was finishing 41st out of 2268 people in the $3 tourney. That is stepping through a LOT of donkeys. Unfortunately the really big money was still a while away, but I was still pretty pumped to get to that position.

Sunday afternoon I talked Weak and SoxLover into playing the FullTilt double stacks tournament. The double stacks tournaments are my favourite there, as I find the blinds get too big too fast for me otherwise. 481 people ended up entering the tournament. Weak was the first of our trio to go down, but Sox and I kept battling away, and he and I ended up finishing 14th and 15th respectively. Again tantalisingly close to the big money, but still happy with proceedings.

I also played a 10+1 45 person SnG as part of the SnG Challenge. 12th no good, and I am 0-2 in those. A couple of sessions on Paradise's 0.25/0.50 NL tables also punished me, as the donkeys took advantage of me. In the first session it was someone paying the hideous price I was setting to hit their flush on the river. In the second session it was someone paying big to hit their boat on the river. Ooh, that smarts. Stings all the more when you realise those two hands effectively wiped out my double stack winnings. D'oh!

8 Comments:

  • Just so you know, I had the nut low on that hand Garth :)

    By Blogger Drizztdj, at 3:51 PM  

  • Hehehe! I actually picked you for the hammer - I had Big Slick. When no help came for me, a 7 on the flop, and the check-raise all-in I decided you might have it, or something like Jacks or Tens and were figuring me for a steal. When you didn't show I removed the Hammer from the equation.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:01 PM  

  • At the risk of being overly legalistic, I finished 14th and you finished 15th.

    By Blogger SoxLover, at 7:52 AM  

  • Gah - yeah, that's what I meant. I'll even update the post for you.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 9:01 AM  

  • And now I see on G-Cox site that you're taking credit for the "donkey" and the "super donkey". What kind of morals are they teaching you kids down under?

    By Blogger SoxLover, at 12:46 PM  

  • Don't worry Sox, lest you fear not getting your due I left a comment on Gary's site giving you credit.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 1:45 PM  

  • Don't worry Sox, lest you fear not getting your due I left a comment on Gary's site giving you credit.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 1:46 PM  

  • We put each other on the right hands then.

    I did hold TT and when no Ace, King, or Queen hit the flop, I figured I was good. And if I wasn't... I had outs :D

    The min raise did spin my wheels though, nice play!

    By Blogger Drizztdj, at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home