Wednesday, April 26, 2006

2 x 180 = 0

First of all, thanks to everyone who commented on my last post. Always interesting to get other people's opinions on a hand, and I definitely appreciate the feedback.

Last night, given the lack of a WWdN tournament, there was only one option. It's 180 time baby! Yes, I am serious about returning my attention to this tournament, a definite favourite of mine. Early in the evening I jumped onto Stars, jumped into a tournament, and had Kat and Weak along for the ride.

And what a ride it was. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that it was one of the crazier 180s I have played. First hand there were three people all-in. Second hand there were two people all-in. Aiiyah! I battened the hatches down tight, and managed to double through some lemur who insisted on betting into my flopped set with nothing but overs. Nice!

Unfortunately Kat and Weak bowed out early. I watched Weak miss every draw possible to go down to a pair of Jacks. Overs? Check. Flush draw? Check. Gutshot? Check. Busted? Check.

Despite playing nary a hand to the first break, I was still just under par. After the first hour there were 69 people left, a record low for a 180 I have been in. After the resumption I continued to play tight, but continued getting cold-decked. Well into the second hour my "flops seen percentage" was as low as 8%.... eeks! My stack size decreed that I had to begin making moves, and as I did. With about 30-odd people left, my stack was still tiny, and I needed chips. In the small blind I saw the donkey, K-J. Three limpers into the pot, and I decide to push. A stack in EP pushes to isolate, and I feel ill, though I feel better when he turns over Q-Jo (?!). I feel worse when the flop comes J-Q-x. No K for me, and I am done.

Not to be put off by this unfortunate turn of events I gird my loins and leap into the fray once more, this time with Weak and SoxLover in tow. Early on a baby flop gets SoxLover to run his pocket 10s into a maniac who turns out to have pocket Ks. Weak also managed to get violated again when he got all his chips in with two pair versus TP K kicker... only to have an Ace on the turn and river counterfeit him.

I again played extremely tight, and manage to get to the break above my starting stack but still under par. SoxLover has noticed that Wil is playing the same tournament, so I go and say "Hi", thus ensuring my Tuesday Wheaton quota is fulfilled.

After the break I get a little frisky when someone min-raises my 8-8... I push and get called by A-K s00ted. A K on the flop is nasty, but I nail an 8 on the river. That's why they're coinflips.

Fold fold fold fold fold fold... until I pick up AA. I raise from EP, everyone folds. Too bad. Fold fold fold fold fold... until I pick up AA again when I am in the BB. UTG raises it up a healthy amount. I'm at about half par, and decide to try my new move of re-raising all-in when holding this kind of hand. UTG calls, registers his dismay upon seeing my AA vs his KK... and a K promptly hits on the flop. No joy for me, and I am done.

I can't be too dismayed here. I played extremely tight, and though the cold-decking wasn't helpful (especially in the first tournament) I got all my chips in when I was way ahead. A little annoying since in both cases I would have ended up with a healthy stack as we approached the bubble, but that's how it goes. Next time, right?

4 Comments:

  • 8%? Wow! That's a cold deck. Nothing wrong with your play, and if you're gonna lose when you hold rockets, at least it was to a real hand. If somebody held a 48 and spiked 2 pair, that would be extremely unbueno. Good luck on the next one. I'd love to try my hand in the 180s, but I very rarely have 4 hours to string together. One of these days I'm gonna call in sick and just play pokah all day.

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 12:09 PM  

  • 2 x 180 = 0...

    You're bad at math. :-)

    Sorry about your bad beats. I had to take a break from Stars last week because I was so sick of them. I've been having much better luck of late in the Party Poker cash games.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3:50 PM  

  • Matt, the beats didn't piss me off too much. They happen from time to time. I find it easier to shake off the AA vs KK (I can't blame the guy for calling), but the isolation re-raise when the guy had Q-J is a little annoying.

    But at the end of the day, if I never got my chips in when I was ahead I wouldn't be much of a poker player.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 3:54 PM  

  • Yeah, AA vs KK easier to take. However, when my KKs got cracked by both Q6 sooooooooooooted and again by a runner runner runner runner flush in the same night, well I needed a break.

    PokerStars actually paid me back a little last night in the Mookie with three major suckouts. You can get the specifics in my writeup.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home