Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Full Dance Card

This week looks like being jam-packed with *gasp* non-Poker. Here's the rundown:

- Tuesday: catching up with a friend to see a movie and grab a drink
- Wednesday: footy training (though I'm hoping to play in Mookie's tournament)
- Thursday: tentative plans to meet my ex, her boy and another of her friends for drinks
- Friday: head down to North Carolina for the first inter-city footy match
- Saturday: footy, drinking and shenanigans
- Sunday: return to DC, pass out

Last night? Well, unless you count me joining a free-roll on Stars with Sox to see how deep we could go into 10,000 people by jamming every hand, there was no poker. (Oh, and the answer for Sox was "one hand", for me the answer was "five hands, and almost 2000 people deep"). Instead I scored a free ticket to the last Washington Capitals game of the season. I actually quite like hockey, having spent a couple of years in Edmonton (it's in Canada... no, really) when I was in high school.

Ice hockey is one of those games that is much better live than on TV. It's also a sport that is almost unique in that no matter where you sit in the arena you get a good view of the action. Near the glass you can see all the hitting up close and personal, while up higher you get a better appreciation of the flow of the game, how line changes are made, etc.

The tickets we scored were close to the glass, but just at a level where it was a little difficult to see the other goal (I shifted a row down to have a better view). The tickets were sussed out by an organisation that deals with my company, so naturally having to organise two groups of people meant we were cutting it fine with getting into the arena on time. Once we got our tickets and got in, myself and my two friends made a bee-line for the stand with good beer. As they waited in line I made a quick trip to the bathroom, where they had the commentary playing over the PA. While I was there I heard the game start, which I was pretty happy about, as I was afraid we would miss more of the game. But then the bad guys scored, after 11 seconds.

That's right. 11 seconds. I should also mention that this is not the first time I have been mere moments late to a Caps game, and they were down by a goal. Yes, they suck that badly.

I emerged from the bathroom and told my incredulous friends that the bad guys had scored after 11 seconds. As we collected our beers from the vendor, sirens blasted and cheers went up. That's right, the Capitals had scored. On our way to our section, the Capitals scored again.

We missed the first 4 minutes and 15 seconds of the game, and 3 goals were scored. Insanity.

Fortunately the rest of the game was also highly entertaining, the crowd was large, loud, and into it, and the good guys won. My friends and I kept a steady chain of people going for more beer, our antics no doubt disturbing the rest of the work people. But screw them. The only things missing from the game were an all-out fight (there were a couple of skirmishes that were broken up early), and it would have been cool to see overtime and maybe one of those new-fangled shootouts. But that's being greedy.

5 Comments:

  • Garth -

    Where in NC are you going to be? Game at my house Friday night.

    By Blogger Falstaff, at 11:54 AM  

  • Somewhere Durham apparently. Not sure exactly where are staying Friday night, but at any rate I doubt I will be down there early enough for home game action... not to mention I'm meant to be responsible as the coach was foolish enough to name me Captain. Appreciate the offer though, hopefully I'll be able to take you up on it some other time.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 12:15 PM  

  • And the only thing better then watching live hockey... is playing it.

    I miss it dearly.

    By Blogger Drizztdj, at 3:12 PM  

  • Okay Garth, we need to start playing "Let's make a deal" - I'll record and ship AFL to you, if you record and ship NHL to me! Obviously I'll have to go first as Aussie Rules is just finished round 3, and my precious Maple Leafs are dead for a season!

    My only other question - how the heck did a good boy from WA survive in Edmonton!

    By Blogger Jules, at 4:45 PM  

  • Oh - I actually have signed up so I can watch AFL matches online, so don't worry about me, I'm good. I am also good mates with a guy who loves his Leafs, so I'll have to remember to chat to him about recordings and such.

    How did I survive in Edmonton? We got there in June, and like the second day it was just over 30 degrees C. We were like "Oh, this is nice." People were dying in the streets... turns out it was like 0.3 off a record or something. When we heard that we were like "Oh, fuck."

    I actually used to walk to school (about 15 minutes away) if it was -20 C or warmer. Amusingly I just discoveres that this used to scare the shit out of my parents. Good times!

    I actually have heap of stories about it (Quick example: one of the first things we purchased that we didn't expect - a hair dryer, because if it's damned cold outside and your hair isn't totally dry it's not too hard to break a big chunk off). So watch out.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home