Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Cashtastic

Recently I have been experiencing a ludicrous run of cashes, including final tabling the WPBT Stud tournament. Last night I jumped into a 180 SnG with Weak and Gracie. It had only just begun when Weak started talking us into registering for the Rebuy Madness tournament on Stars, which started a few moments later. Being the strong willed characters we are, Gracie and I folded instantly to his reasoning.

I got off to a nice start in the 180, taking down a big pot when the flop came down 2-2-x, with two hearts and four players to the flop. I had Q-2, and at least one person was on the flush draw it seems, but more importantly the pot got built to a large enough size that I was able to use my "push all-in raise" overbet and get called by someone who thought 2-3 was good.

In Rebuy Madness, the rebuying was... well, maddening. Didn't have a lot of joy in the first hour, and for having 5 or 6 rebuys I went to the break with just under 4k. I grabbed the add-on, and then was fortunate early in the second hour to outplay a lemur and stack him, doubling me up. With 12k just after the first break, I was in a position to do some damage.

In the 180 I never built a huge stack, but dodged and weaved, and before I knew it we were on the bubble. I had about the magic number of 7k (that seems to be about the stack you need to cash), and a couple of blind steals got me into the money. Playing down to the final table was tense, and I needed to get lucky once when I pushed from the SB against another small stack in the BB. My J3o got called by K7o, but I hit the board hard... and that was enough to see me through. Once again I found myself on the final table of a 180 SnG, albeit with a small stack.

Unfortunately I didn't do much with the opportunity, busting out first. I got frisky trying the same SB all-in with, yes, J3o. This time I ran into AJ, and there was no minor miracle for me.

Back in Rebuy Madness I was busy moving through the field. I never really found myself over par, but people were steadily dropping, and without sweating it too much I found myself in the money. Every so often there was a money bump, adding $3 to my winnings. With under 200 people left of the original 2230 I looked down and saw QQ. The person to my left pushed, I had them covered, and so I pushed to isolate. The initial raiser showed AQ s00ted, but once again my QQ was not able to beat that hand. That definitely hurt me, but I still had some chips.

Using my short stack I began pushing judiciously, keeping my head above water, and people kept busting. With 107 left I got a little frisky and pushed from MP with JQ s00ted. One of the giant stacks, who I had been friendly with, was in the BB and reluctantly called with his AQo. I managed to turn an OESD, but the probabilities held, and I was out.

Going as far as I did in both tournaments was definitely gratifying - a final table in a 180, plus finishing 107th of 2230 in a rebuy tournament is nothing to be sneezed at. I do feel like I did miss an opportunity to go deeper in both of those, especially the 180, by being a little push-happy when I could have waited for a better spot. Nonetheless I can only hope my run continues.

Thanks to all the railbirds as well: Weak, Gracie, Drewspop, Mookie, SoxLover and Flux (hope I didn't forget anyone!). Always nice to have a cheering section when you go deep in a tournament.

5 Comments:

  • I'm hooked on the crazy rebuy. Drink drink drink!

    By Blogger peacecorn, at 12:42 PM  

  • Nice job, G! Keep up the good work. See you in the WWdN tonight?

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 1:42 PM  

  • You are on fire!!

    By Blogger Weak Player, at 9:04 AM  

  • Dam Garth you are on a roll and how! Way to go. I've been dabbling in the 180 sngs lately, but I've been jumping in too late in the evening as I try to get baby Hammer in bed before I start playing, and playing tired and cranky is never the way to maximize your performance or your results in these things, as I end up pushing (deliberately in most cases) too hard with hands that I know are probably not going to be winners. Anyways, very impressive run of late, and keep up the good work. I'll check with you one of these nights and see if we can enter a 180 sng together or something.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 3:24 PM  

  • 3$ Rebuy.. Hmm.. I should join you!

    By Blogger SirFWALGMan, at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home