Thursday, May 18, 2006

Musings Upon That Movie

One of the things I love about living in the US is having cable, which means access to ten bazillion channels, almost any of which might happen to be playing one of those movies. You know the ones. The guilty pleasures. We all have them, a selection of movies that we can't help but sit and watch if we come across them accidentally, but which we might disavow completely if we were ever questioned about it. My personal collection includes such "classics" as Point Break, Top Gun, Predator and The Matrix (the first one, the others can fuck off).

Of course one of those movies that might fit the bill for most of the people who read this blog is "Rounders". I came across it (again) on cable last Sunday afternoon, just before the final poker showdown between Mick McD and Teddy KGB. Which meant I wasn't going anywhere for 15 minutes... and also means I should probably just buy it on DVD already.

While I was watching it this time, something occurred to me. How pissed off is Ben Affleck that it was Matt Damon, and not him, who starred in "Rounders"?!

4 Comments:

  • Yes, you should definitely pick Rounders up on DVD. I got it a couple of months back at Best Buy for $10. You're not a true poker player unless you own it.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 10:51 AM  

  • "You're going down Bodie !"

    By Blogger mookie99, at 11:12 AM  

  • Now that I think about it, Ben Affleck may have been better for the role =)

    My favorite is the first 15 minutes of Rounders, when Mike McD goes out to play poker (with his girlfriend asleep) after collecting wads of cash totalling $30k scattered throughout his apartment and hidden in things like empty Super System books, and a Mike Caro "Poker Tells" empty VHS casing. It sets the scene perfectly for the rest of the movie.

    The first words are great: "Here's the thing--If you can't spot the sucker during your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker."

    Apparently a lot of people don't like the movie, and think it has a lot of cinematic flaws, but I'm not one of them.

    By Blogger DP, at 5:17 PM  

  • Garth, I always suspected you had a nicely demented streak in you and this confirms it. I'M demented and all those movies are in my personal collection. Be afraid, be very afraid...

    By Blogger iamhoff, at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home