Monday, May 01, 2006

Return of the Aggression Monkey

A couple of posts down you might be able to see my brief comments about how I planned to prepare for the most recent WPBT-POY tournament. Stud is a game I have hardly any experience with, so a little planning was in order.

Well, screw planning. Here was what I actually ended up doing:

1) Do no reading
2) Don't play any Stud at all prior to the tournament
3) As the Stud tournament starts, make sure I am deep in a 180 SnG
4) Let the Aggression Monkey out of his cage
5) Make the final table of the Stud tournament, while finishing 7th in the SnG

Simple, right?

I took the same tack as I did in the blogger HORSE tournament from earlier in the year - whenever I had a hand or when someone was showing weakness... BET BET BET BET. This strategy actually had me second in chips when we were one off the final table, but just before we made it to the final eight I lost two big hands. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I was pretty stoked with both final tables (Stud and the 180), though the Stud final tabling carries a little more cachet. My 180 SnG stats (see sidebar) are continuing to look tasty.

Congratulations are due to SoxLover, who gets to christen his newly revamped blog (thanks to the talented Katitude) with his inaugural blogger tournament victory. The victory in Stud launched him into the top 10 in the POY race, where he is sitting pretty at #7 (I am in 27th place). Nice work!

___________________

Other notable poker happenings this weekend: I had my first foray into the Party Poker NL waters, playing a couple of one hour sessions on Friday night. First impressions? SOFT! I know this isn't a suprise to a lot of you, but nonetheless, I was pretty amazed. I made a few modifications to my normal style - don't slow play, always make pot-sized bets when there are draws on the board and you think your hand is best, don't be afraid to play fast when you hit the board hard, and always value bet on the river. That, mixed in with avoiding confrontations with the better players, seemed to be a recipe for success. I will definitely revist those tables and see if the success continues.

I also played Rebuy Madness on Saturday night (the $3 rebuy tournament on Stars). Weak, Sox and I made a pact to go all-in on the first two hands if someone didn't push ahead of us. Weak and I both stole the blinds both times, while Sox doubled up. I managed to make the money, and finally went out in 50th of 2000+. I would have loved to have gone deeper (of course!), but I had my QQ called down by AQ... and I don't need to tell you the rest. I can't complain too much as I think the call was warranted, but if I win that pot I am sitting in 12th with 50 remaining and a big score looming...

5 Comments:

  • Very nice job on both...

    By Blogger TripJax, at 11:33 AM  

  • Congrats, Garth. You have been on fire lately!
    And great playing in the stud tourney last night. Though I have to say, I'm annoyed that you're one of the very few of my usual group of chat-buddies who is ahead of me in the POY race. Bring it on in the upcoming HORSE tournament, where I will need to pass your ass once and for all on the leaderboard. Deal?

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 12:19 PM  

  • btw, Garth, you posted your last post 3 times to your blog. You might want to delete the first two. Unless you just really want us to know how well you did in these two tournaments, which is pretty awesome now that I think about it.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 1:15 PM  

  • Thanks for the heads up, Hoyazo. I had some Blogger shenanigans occur, but didn't realise it resulted in accidental repostings.

    BTW, I should point out that SoxLover is crushing us both on the leaderboard...

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 1:47 PM  

  • Nice job in the $3 the other night and the final table last night.

    This will be a daily reminder :)

    Sign up early for The Mookie on Wed.

    By Blogger mookie99, at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home