Monday, June 05, 2006

Back in the Saddle

Last night featured WPBT event #7, held at 9:30pm on Full Tilt. Since I had only just returned from a big weekend in Boston, I wasn't sure if I was going to play or not (seriously, can't we schedule these things a little earlier?). But as kick-off time approached, I felt myself weakening. The fact of the matter is: I like HORSE. It's fun to play games in rotation, and it's definitely refreshing to play some non-NLHE games. Blogger HORSE events also make me nostalgic, as it was way back in January where I was introduced to Weak_player and SoxLover et. al by Veneno as I went on to take 3rd place.

I still think that Triple Draw should be added to the mix so it could be "triple draW, Hold 'em, Omaha Hi/Lo, Razz, stud Eight or better, Stud"... which makes WHORES. All credit goes to SoxLover and SoxWife for coming up with that one, unless I got that wrong, in which case credit goes elsewhere.

Truth be told, my thoughts on HORSE are still the same as before: I'm very prepared for it just to be ORSE. I believe H is my weakest rotation in HORSE, if for no other reason that I believe my relative LHE tournament game is the worst of the different games.

Last tournament I discovered that Razz was my favourite rotation, and it was so once again as I was able to grab the tournament chip lead after that rotation. I lost a big hand to CJ in Stud Hi/Lo, when his rolled up 5s found a third five, allowing him to scoop. I lost another big hand to the Luckbox in my favourite rotation (yes, H), and all of a sudden I was in trouble.

I managed to stay afloat as my table started getting filled by familiar faces, and people started dropping like flies as the blinds escalated. The final table bubble was fast approaching, as was the aggression level. I tried to bust the Poker Princess when she made what looked like a tilty blind-steal after losing most of her stack the previous hand. I held 9T s00ted, and thought it was worth a shot. No good, as Maigrey's K8o held up. I then tried to bust another short stack (Mattazuma) as we got it all-in pre-flop. This time my AJo couldn't hit the board, and his 33 (I believe) was good. This made me the short stack, and again I got it all in against Mattazuma, again my overcards to his small pair... and again I missed. Stupid H. I was out in 9th, the final table bubble boy.

Jordan made it deep, and managed to cash, so good work there. SoxLover finished in 10th, and Waffles finished in 8th (after leading most of the way). CJ eventually took out the event, with Maigrey (who battled back from the felt) finishing in second. StB is just unstoppable at the moment, finishing 3rd and retaining his clear lead atop the POY standings.

* * * * * * * *

In non-WPBT news, my downswing continues. Not going to harp on it too much, it happens to everyone. After getting rivered in a large cash pot on Party, I had a little look at my NLHE cash stats in PokerTracker as a precursor for some deeper analysis on my game. Insert caveats regarding sample sizes etc. here.

To be honest, I might not need to dig that deep to improve my game. Anyone want to guess what my biggest loser for "average per hand" is? I bet you can get it.

*pause*

QQ. Not only is it my biggest loser overall, it is my biggest loser on every site I play on. Aiiyah! I need to have a look at the hands in general, but I'm willing to bet that most of it is running an overpair into a flopped set (something I do way too often). Add that to the times I just misplay it in more inventive ways and you have a formula for leaking money. Scary to think I'd have saved a bit of money by just folding such a premium holding.

I knew I hated that hand.

3 Comments:

  • Hey man, thanks for calling for the dial-a-shot. It was good talking with you. The next time you are coming to Boston, I will have to meet up with you.

    By Blogger drewspop, at 2:11 PM  

  • I'm pretty sure most of us hate QQ. The only hand I hate worse is JJ.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 2:54 PM  

  • Save money and fold them bitches. Our of course push monkey them.

    By Blogger Miami Don, at 3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home