Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Lazarus has Risen!

It was with some trepidation that I began my preparations on Monday morning. I carefully laid out the laptop that I had attempted to drown, replacing the battery and cd-rom drive into the housing. Mouthing a quick prayer to Saint Isidore, patron saint of Idiot End-Users, I pressed the power switch. Despite the fact that I had let the laptop dry out for over three days, with liberal use of a fan, this could go either way.

With a "bleep" and a flickering of LEDs, my prayers were answered as the laptop began its booting sequence. It was... ALIVE! I let the thing run while I got ready for work, shutting it down before I left. Monday afternoon I brought home my emergency auxiliary laptop, bringing in the newly dubbed Lazarus for work yesterday. Upon booting it up and having it connect to the network there was some delays as it sorte itself out, but so far so good.

St. Isidore be praised!

Now let's hope that Lazrus keeps functioning, and that I don't have the sudden urge to feed my laptop a bowl of chili.

* * * * * * * *

In Poker news, I continue to suck. But! I have finally bitten the bullet and created a real money account on Ultimate Bet. "Why?" I hear you ask. Two simple words: Triple Draw. Now, by no means am I a Triple Draw expert. Or a Triple Draw amateur. I am more the Triple Draw neophyte... but something about that game I find really interesting. Primary blame probably falls at the feet of Chris Fargis, who writes about his high stakes Triple Draw adventures from time to time.

I've only played a few sessions, with middling results (translation: I am down). I feel like I am playing OK, but obviously there is a serious learning curve involved. Last night while I was playing 0.50/1.00 I noticed that Chris was on as well... only he was playing 300/600. Might be a little while before I am playing that high.

* * * * * * * *

From the "Meaningless Milestones" department, this is also apparently my 100th post. So now you know.

3 Comments:

  • Good to hear the laptop survived. Us IT folks despise fish users like you who spill things on their laptop. Ha...just kiddin...

    Have you done any triple-draw reading ? I have played a little play money on UB awhile back when I was looking for a break from hold 'em.

    By Blogger mookie99, at 10:57 AM  

  • I'm amazed that thing wasn't fried! Nice job with the cover-up. Looks like the IT gods have smiled upon you.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 12:11 PM  

  • I own Super System II, and have read the Triple Draw chapter a couple of times. My plan is to return to it from time to time as I play, hopefully allowing me to absorb the info a little more as time goes on.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home