Thursday, June 29, 2006

Springing A Leak?

Twice last night I was doing well in the early portions of a tournament. Twice I found myself in position with a decent pocket pair (one a great pocket pair) when a smaller stack pushed all-in with little provocation. Twice I called. Twice they had Aces. Twice I did not improve. Twice I did not make it very deep in the tournament.

D'oh!

I'm hoping to make it to the DADI tonight with a tentative team of myself, Dnasty, and Mookie. Given the last moment nature of our collaboration, it's not definite that we'll make it, but we'll see how we go. One or more of us may be scrambling for partners as the launch time approaches. Just sayin'.

* * * * * * * *

Vegas is fast approaching, as everyone knows. I've been a little pre-occupied, as I've also been trying to spec out my trip back home in September (it seems a certain younger brother of mine is getting married). I've been scribbling all over whiteboards, trying to suss out an appropriate itinerary. This morning I actually booked the International flights, though I have yet to book anything internal (my flight lands in Sydney, but my family lives on the other side of the country).

To paraphrase Joe Speaker, I spent $1500 in 20 minutes, and I'm still feeling aroused.

The plan is to spend a bunch of time in Sydney, catching up with people and, well, enjoying Sydney. Have a week or so in Perth (including my brother's wedding on the 16th), and head back to Sydney via Uluru (aka Ayer's Rock), which has the distinction of being one of the few things of interest in the middle of the country. Some of you may have no idea what I am talking about, so here is a picture of it:


Basically it's a huge fuck-off monolith in the middle of nowhere. Woo!

Making sure to break up the trip from Perth to DC is important. Consider: it is a 5 hour flight from DC to LA. Then it is a 14 hour flight from LA to Sydney. Followed by a 5 hour flight from Sydney to Perth. 24 hours in flight time alone.

Last time I went home (about 2.5 years ago) I did it all in one hit. Roughly 31 hours elapsed from the time I left DC to the time I landed in Perth. To put it lightly: I do not recommend anyone do this. Ever.

But soon enough it will be time to drink that sweetest of nectars. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home