Wednesday, June 21, 2006

WWdN Action

I have played the WWdN a number of times. I have never won it (best place finish: 3rd), nor have I eliminated Wil to win the honour of having the next tournament named after. This week was no different, as I finished in 12th after pushing my smaller stack into AQ.

The thing is, I do get the tournament named after me next week. How? Turns out Wil couldn't make it last night, and so the Wil-by-proxy was CJ. I discovered this fact moments after CJ chose an unfortunate time to push his stack from the button, as I was sitting in the BB with Aces. So next week is the Garthmeister Invitational. Sweet.

Guess I better turn up.

* * * * * * * *

I have been trying to play a few more 180s recently, as I had spent far too long away from their embrace. Coming back to old faithful was instantly validated, as I was able to double up in the first 15 minutes when a A-x-x flop fell with two spades, and my opponent and I got it all in. My AK was better than his AQ, and I was off. In the second hour I was beginning to feel the pinch, when right on cue I was dealt Aces. UTG raised it up, I pushed... and then UTG agonised over his decision. I was busy screaming "Call!", and finally he did, showing JJ.

WTF?

My joy was short-lived, as a Jack hit on the turn, but I took it well. Having my faith in the 180s restored was worth it. I played another 180 in stereo with the WWdN last night, and again got a reasonable distance in the second hour before running my short-stack into AQ (again!).

I have been trying to retool my tournament game a bit since coming back to MTTs, as I think I got a little off-kilter after playing cash games for a while. I still think I can wait longer while short stacked before I really have to push, but that could also be me being a little shy after careening headlong into AQ twice in a row.

I'd still like to have a nice finish soonish (who wouldn't!), so I will be looking to keep plugging away.

6 Comments:

  • In Soviet Union, nice finishes like you.

    By Blogger Wes, at 2:50 PM  

  • Very nice. Can you come up with a more creative name for the WWDN? SOmething like Discofinery Demolition Night?

    By Blogger Donkeypuncher, at 3:51 PM  

  • well done Garth!

    Now, please go register for your tournament RIGHT NOW. This is you 6 day reminder :)

    oh..and Garth...

    GO SOCCEROOS!!!!

    By Blogger Jules, at 3:19 AM  

  • Keep at those MTTs, Garth. That's still always going to be your best chance to make it on tv and spit up some beer like Men the Master in last year's WSOP. Glad to hear you're getting away from those silly sissy cash games for some real man's poker.
    We should do the 17k on full tilt or the party 40k some night.

    See ya in a couple of weeks.

    By Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo, at 8:17 AM  

  • Thanks for making it last night. Great job on the final table and cash. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie...!

    By Blogger mookie99, at 12:57 PM  

  • I suppose there's now a two-week moratorium on Harry Kewell cracks. Fine.

    Congrats.

    By Blogger Joe Speaker, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home