Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A Return to the Scene of a Crime

(OK, there was no crime, I just decided that was going to be my post's title. So there.)

I have probably mentioned that I have had my Aussie Rules footy training moved from Wednesday to Tuesday nights, neatly preventing me from being able to play the WWdN. This is not necessarily because training goes too late to prevent me from getting home and playing, more the drinking at a bar afterwards gets in the way of me playing. Those familiar with how I set my priorities understand that the WWdN suffers in comparison.

Last night, due to spotty attendance and even spottier enthusiasm for a bar outing post-training, I actually found myself back at Chez Garthmeister J. with plenty of time to sign up for the WWdN. Not to mention time to stock up on beer, since my reserves were seriously depleted from the weekend for some reason.

It had been a long time since i had played a WWdN, so it was good to see some familiar faces at my starting table, including Falstaff and Aquaverse. Aquaverse will always have a special place in my heart (and I a special place in his nightmares) for potentially the greatest Hammer I will ever play.

To be honest I wasn't really paying attention too closely, as I was watching WSOP coverage and chatting. I got paid off like a slot machine when my KK picked off JJ and a KT s00ted who had hit the flop. With a few plays to ensure the blinds didn't eat me away, I was looking good to make the final table and the $$$. With about 14 left Astin (a short stack) pushed all in. It folded around to me in the BB. Given the discount it was going to cost me 900 or so more to try and win about 1300. I had wired 4s... but I just felt Astin only had overs. His potential range has to include pocket pairs, but I decided to call anyway. Overs it was, but the board produced a higher two pair that conterfeited my 4s, and all of a sudden I was in trouble.

By this time I had long since stopped being distracted by watching the WSOP and had begun being distracted by The Contender (yes, I have become an addict - it's the show that is on ESPN, my default channel, when I get home from footy training).

I pushed a couple of times when I had to, though I resorted mostly to being patient, feeling I wasn't in too much trouble. Without much fanfare I managed to slip into the final table as the short stack. Once there I stayed mostly out of trouble, though I did lay down AQo when a short-stacked Jules made a standard raise in EP. Probably a weak fold, as if I pushed over the top she may have folded or at least be in a raise, but the raise looked scary to me.

As the odd person was eliminated I was unable to get paid off for my monsters. KK only got a little, and everyone folded to my AK. Suddenly there were only 5 of us left, and I was the tiny stack. I finally got to see a flop for free from the BB with two diamonds in my hand. When the flop also had two diamonds I felt it was time to get in. Kaellin raised from the SB, I pushed all-in, and he called. Unfortunately he had paired his K on the flop... and even worse he had the King of diamonds with the Jack of diamonds. Very few outs (running outs at that), and I was done in 5th.

All in all, a nice return to the WWdN, though I am doubtful of how often I will be able play it in the future.

After the WWdN I played some of my beloved Triple Draw on UB, picking up a few bucks. It was a nice little return for the evening, especially considered I had a brain explosion while playing NLHE cash on Monday night which cost me quite a bit. NLHE cash games and I are not currently speaking, though I don't know if it will develop into a prolonged separation or if we will kiss and make up.

* * * * * * *

You may have noticed that I have thrown up some Amazon links on the sidebar. No, this does not necessarily mean I have become a fully-fledged whore - I am more like an apprentice whore. I actually decided to become an Amazon affiliate after I was reading a website that mentioned that Amazon had this new service which automatically populated the links based on the web page content etc. I am a sucker for that kind of stuff, and so decided to do it just to see what got put up.

It didn't seem to take too long for it to start to become tuned to the blog, as it begain displaying a bunch of poker books. Amusingly it also started showing items related to Giuseppe Verdi, who composed the Opera "Falstaff".... information scraped, no doubt, from my post about doubleas-Vegas.

And that is why I put up the customized Amazon ads. I look forward to seeing what it decides to show me in the future.

4 Comments:

  • Nice job in WWdN last night. Hope to see you at the Mookie and at my table no less. It seems like it's been awhile..

    By Blogger mookie99, at 12:06 PM  

  • As I read this the first title in the Amazon links is:

    "The Womanly Art of Breast Feeding"

    Complete with cover art of infant at said breast.

    Strong work.

    By Blogger Chilly, at 2:16 PM  

  • Wait, WHAT?! Maybe I need to turn this feature off - it can see into my subconscious... scary stuff...

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 2:19 PM  

  • I have Animaniacs displaying on mine. I would assume that this is scraped from the posts about the many maniacs that you play against online.

    It was fun playing the WWdN final table with you last night. I look forward to taking your chips again in the future. ;-)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home