Thursday, August 17, 2006

Things to Do in DC When You're Dead

Or, alternatively, what am I doing with my time now that I am sans internet connection and television?

Normally this would be a no-brainer. Clearly I would be out getting sauced every night at various houses of ill-repute. But as I am just coming off a bout with the flu this has been "somewhat" taken off the table (I say "somewhat" because I did hit a bar on the way home last night, if only to give a dial-a-shot to Donkeypuncher and the Bracelet).

So what else is there?

Fortunately, being a top class nerd, I had recently received my copy of the expansion pack for Civilization IV, which allowed me to spend some time grinding the world under my jackboot. But even I can't play that full-time when I am at home. I'm sad, but not that sad.

So what does that leave me? DVDs. I am potentially the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) NetFlix customer of all time. This is not an idle boast. The DVD I watched on Tuesday night I had at my apartment for approximately 18 months. I am not making this up. Yes, I know I could cancel my subscription. Or something, anything. It's like I am donating to them for having such a great business plan.

But I really have been meaning to watch more movies, as I know I have let too many slide past for too long. And the movie I watched on Tuesday night, which I had been meaning to see for the last six years, let alone the 18 months I have had the DVD in my apartment, was awesome.

Anyone else seen "Requiem for a Dream"? Just unbelievable. Took my head off. Extremely, extremely intense. Yes, these meaning-free sentence fragments are almost the only way I can describe the film. I have seldom watched a movie that has been so infused with the sense of impending doom, yet I was unable to look away - even as I felt the urge to cover my eyes with my hands. Yes, it was awesome. But I'm not sure if I want to watch it again, if that makes sense.

Interestingly the director Darren Aronofsky's previous effort, "Pi", I also found extremely powerful. I remember seeing that in the theatre when I had just moved across the country for my first job out of school. At the time I was feeling lonely, and a bit depressed, which is pretty much exactly the state of mind not to be in when you see that film. I think I drank for three weeks straight after that.

Nonetheless, if you think you can handle it, I urge you to see them both. And hey, if you're not sure, pick a nice sunny Sunday morning to watch them.

3 Comments:

  • Requiem is one of my favorites--a fantastic flick, I still watch it every now and again.

    If you like ultra disturbing, check out Chuck and Buck. You'll have a skin-crawling feeling for days.

    By Blogger Human Head, at 11:55 AM  

  • I'm a huge fan of fucked up flix LIKE Requiem, so when I saw my buddy had a copy, I borrowed it. I must've gotten 30 minutes into the movie before I shut it off. It made me want to slit my wrists and jump out the window. I don't think I've ever seen it straight through, but I did watch most of the movie in bits and pieces. What a fucked up film!

    By Blogger HighOnPoker, at 4:43 PM  

  • Oh yes - I've definitely seen Requiem for a Dream - it's crazy! I know what you mean about watching it once but not wanting to watch it again. Damn, now I'm thinking about that movie right now!

    By Blogger CarmenSinCity, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home