Thursday, October 05, 2006

EARTH SANDWICH!!

Yes, my little shrimp cocktails, it is finally time for the unveilling of the performance art piece of our time... the Earth Sandwich! As you may have read on Gracie's blog, due to my inability to attend the Bash (by virtue of being in the incorrect hemisphere) we decided that is was only appropriate that we attempt an Earth Sandwich to coincide with the event. And what is an Earth Sandwich, you might ask? Go now to ZeFrank's site and be educated in the mysteries! (And while you are at it, you should probably check out his show, as it is 9 kinds of Awesome).

Due to technical difficulties (also known as Garth managing to transpose two of the digits in Gracie's phone number) I was unable to go ahead at the scheduled time. This was unfortunate, as I had decided to perform the Earth Sandwich on Australia's most famous beach, Bondi. I decided to take a picture anyway.

(If you squint really closely at the above picture, you can see boobies!)

Despite this setback I was determined that the Earth Sandwich would be performed, though I only had one last shot - doing the deed before I flew out of Sydney the next morning. Getting up way-too-early I had a shot at calling Gracie, but though I reached her phone I only got her voicemail. I was worried, as if I didn't get her on the phone the next time I tried, there could be trouble.

Keeping the voices at bay, I set about finishing my packing before attempting one last phone call... SUCCESS! I had managed to caught the bunch of degenerates eating, which made it easy for Gracie to find a piece of bread for the task at hand.

Giddy with the knowledge that our goal was oh so close I headed out onto the street to find some bare ground. My hotel was right on the edge of Hyde Park, a gorgeous area right in the middle of Sydney. Laying the bread on the ground, I was able to record the Australian side of the Earth Sandwich for posterity.

It took me 5 or 6 attempts to get the right facial expression.

As I was finishing up, I noticed that there was something else in the vicinity of the Earth Sandwich. Sydney, at an early hour on a Sunday morning, can be an "interesting" place. I took another couple of photos to record the moment.


In the foreground, the Australian side of the Earth Sandwich. But what is that in the background?

I decided to get closer, and see what that unidentified object was. Upon further inspection, and after consultation with my contacts at the Bash, it may have been a long lost relative of TripJax or F-Train.

This guy looks like TripJax sounded when I talked to him later.

Who says Sydney isn't a glamorous place?

Content that the Earth Sandwich mission was over, I caught a cab and headed to the airport. After checking in, I managed to finagle a Victoria Bitter for breakfast, and spent some time doing International Dial-a-shots until I had to scurry to my plane. Now that's the way to prepare for international travel.

In case you were wondering, there were no Russian Close-Sitters on the flight back. As far as you know.

* * * * * * * *

With the "Last Days of Disco" feeling in the air (and as I am going to be unable to play poker online from Friday until Tuesday at least - I might be able to squeeze some in tonight), I threw caution to the wind and played a few tournaments last night, including a $150+12 on Stars. Unfortunately I didn't manage to do any serious damage, finally bowing out in 167th of 580 or so when I had to make some moves. I still have a little bit of cash to throw around a few sites, so no fear, I will still be around.

But where the hell is the money I cashed out of Ultimate Bet?!

Bastards.

6 Comments:

  • Excellent.

    You can add Drizz to the possible candidates for the guy in the park.

    By Blogger AlCantHang, at 10:50 AM  

  • Puhleeze. That guy has way too much meat on his bones to be a relative of mine.

    By Blogger F-Train, at 12:09 PM  

  • Garth, you could have made it an even more entertaining earth sandwich and done the deed at the Cross....

    God knows that would kill any glamerous international reputation for Sydney forever.

    By Blogger Jules, at 4:41 PM  

  • "This guy looks like TripJax sounded when I talked to him later."

    Dude, I've been laughing for 5 minutes. Hilarious.

    By Blogger TripJax, at 4:48 PM  

  • Why- or how- am I impressed by the concept of the Earth sandwich?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • Yes, I definitely would have preferred the lushness of park grass to pass out on.

    Actually I could have passed out anywhere.

    By Blogger Drizztdj, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home