Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Headspace

Things seem to be a little out of whack for me, poker-wise. Let's go over the facts:

  • I spent the end of August and most of September offline (though winning in live play)
  • Upon my return some retarded legislation was passed
  • I cashed out most of my moola from poker sites and then FirePay
  • Created a new Neteller account and began the process of validating bank accounts etc.
  • I still have to reload meaningful amounts of cash on various sites
This means that I haven't been playing a normal, well, "routine" (for want of a better word) of online poker for almost two months. And I feel all over the place.

My first poker tournament in a month was a WWdN a few weeks back, where upon I achieved the much coveted status of Gigli. Last night I played my third (I think) WWdN since returning...and hey, I'm Gigli again. On the first hand.

No, no pushing KK into AA or anything - just folded to me in the SB, I have AKo, the baseball is on and I think "I'll raise, and if I get pushback, I'll go all-in". I get pushback, go all-in, and my opponent calls and watches her JJ turn into quads.

So I shrug my shoulders, say "well, I knew that could happen", and sit back and watch baseball, right?

Wrong. Instead I seeth for a while and bash my head against the keyboard a few times. Instead of sitting back and watching the baseball I decide that I need to work some things out, and jump into a 180 on Stars.

I don't make the first break.

So then I jump onto UB with the remnants of what I had there, and play A-5 Triple Draw (which I dislike) while short-stacked for the limit I was playing. Somehow I don't bust (a key play: calling someone's bet on the end with trash, but it turned out he was bluffing with worse trash then I had), and manage to turn my $9.90 into $40.

What am I trying to say? Hell if I know. Once I have everything validated and loaded on the various sites I can play the games I want to play, I am hoping I'll settle down a bit. But I'm kinda thinking I need to sit down and decide what I am doing again.

Of course I seem to remember saying this before.

* * * * * * * *

I'm also in the middle of trying to sort out my Visa status. Work is preparted to sponsor me with a Green card, but it probably means signing up for the long haul at my current job, plus I could just go to the Aussies-only E3 Visa, or I could just stick with the H1B I have, but my Visa sticker is about to run out in my passport which means I can't leave and re-enter the country without getting a new one overseas (probably back in Australia)...

I really need to sort that one out as well.

3 Comments:

  • That first hand was nuts. Not sure if you saw me hit quad J's later in that event... didn't help me from donking off my chips soon after!

    Hope to see you in more blogger events.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • Just curious... do you have a residence in Australia where you can receive, say, cheques from various internet enterprises?

    By Blogger ToddCommish, at 4:19 PM  

  • Thanks for making it out to The Mookie last night.

    By Blogger mookie99, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home