Thursday, November 02, 2006

And on The Second Day He Said "What?! 48,000 Words To Go?!"

"I do have some other random knowledge gleaned from my many years of being a booze hound. For instance, most people don't seem to realise that a lot of Art Galleries put on shows that feature free alcohol. I'm more than willing to go off the beaten track and knock back a few glasses of red while looking at some art. The trick is to try and not raise the suspicion of those serving the alcohol, though I usually go the other way - I make it very clear, very early, to the wait staff that I am trying to drink as much as I can. Most of them are usually students anyway, and so are sensitive to my plight - and it's not like I'm not the only person doing it. I just make sure to slip them ten bucks or something early on "for their trouble", and away you go. While standing around drinking as fast as I can I like to engage other people who are there, particularly if they are happen to be women. My favorite opening is simply "I'm not convinced by [insert artist] here. What do you think?" Fact: any person who goes to an Art Gallery showing will answer that question at length, if only to prove to themselves that they are an educated art-lover. If you run out of wine during the conversation, not to worry. Just say to the other person that you think you might get a top-up, and ask if they would like one as well. If they say "No" you have an out, which is handy if they were completely boring (which, let's face it, is pretty likely). If they say "Yes", then you can happily go and get yourself and your new friend a drink and see what happens from there. If you think they are disapproving of your drinking, screw them, there are other people to talk to while you do your quaffing. Numerous gallery attendances mean that I have developed a kind of baseline level of art appreciation, or rather the ability to participate in a conversation abour art, and not sound like I am completely ignorant despite not saying much. This has helped me get laid at least twice in my life."

* * * * * * * *

Two days in, so far so good, particularly since I have had a couple of old friends staying with me the last couple of days. To all those doing NaNoWriMo (particularly for the first time) let me say this: there is a time for editing, and that time is December. I know that for those of us posting excerpts on our blog the urge is going to be to try and rewrite and polish everything, but RESIST THE URGE.

Also in the "nice" column: I came in 4th in the Mookie last night, which means back-to-back final tables (though admittedly I lemured out in 9th last week). One of my friends actually watched me play the final table in person, and it was neat to explain out loud my thought processes.

In the "sucks" side I managed to strain my back, by not doing much at all (who knew reaching for the shaving cream could be so devastating?). It's painful, but not completely debilitating, so hopefully I'm 100% tomorrow.

Now, let's see if I can squeeze a few more hundred words in...

1 Comments:

  • Who the F&*$ are you and what did you do with the real Garth? Looking at Art (even with the valid booze hound excuse)? Putting out your back doing menial daily tasks? Some true blue Aussie Ocker you are?!

    By Blogger Jules, at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home