Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My Opening Sentence

"I suffer from blackouts. "

* * * * * * * *

I am tinkering with the idea of blogging a short excerpt of my novel-in-progress each day. I thought the opening sentence was appropriate for the first such post. Hopefully there is something new to throw up here each day.

For those of you who are also doing NaNoWriMo, or for those of you who just want to see how I am doing, my handle is the cunning "Garthmeister J.". You can go to the NaNoWriMo page, click on the "Authors" tab and search for my name. For you other people out there doing it, let me know your clever pseudonym. I'd love to keep tabs on you all.

See you at the finish line.

6 Comments:

  • I like your novel already!

    By Blogger Jordan, at 12:59 PM  

  • Starting at the beginning? Pfft... amateur. Look me up as anardi. I'm on Gracie's list.

    By Blogger BG, at 1:32 PM  

  • Thanks Jordan. Unfortunately the quality will steadily go down from there.

    And I have just added you to my list, BG. Good luck!

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 1:36 PM  

  • I'm the very creative handle, Bobby Bracelet.

    My first sentence is...

    Polo Sport or Old Spice?

    I can almost hear the brinks truck backing up to my 3rd floor apartment already.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger The Bracelet, at 4:40 PM  

  • I'm curious. How many hours a day do you write when you're doing this? I must admit, the idea is very intriguing to me, but I'm not sure I'd have the time to finish. How long is it when you're done? (I remember you did this before.)

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 4:21 PM  

  • I try and write two or three hours a day. I'm usually pretty good at pumping out the words, so I can go at a fair clip. 1000+ an hour is my rate, so if I write for two or so hours, that's 2000 a day. The end goal is 50,000 words, so 2000 covers it.

    Of course you have good days and slow days. Some days you can't find the time, or you're ill, or it's Aunt Molly's birthday. Or even worse it feels like writing each word is like extracting teeth, and even worse than that, you know it's shithouse.

    But then there are other days when you hit a rich vein of material, and the words can't come out fast enough.

    So I try and sit my arse down for a couple of hours a day, and force myself to just put fingers to keyboard. If I can do that every day, I am home. Not to mention that once I've done that I feel completely comfortable doing whatever the hell I feel like.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home