Monday, December 18, 2006

Cancer Beatdown!

So there I was, minding my own business on a Sunday night. I was pretty tired, though I was about to call home (my parents had sent me a "Hey douchebag, are you ever going to call home?" email). Out of the blue I was given a directive [ed: directive may be fictionalised].

Katitude: Dude, charity tournament on Full Tilt in three minutes. Be there or be a blight on humanity.

Not wanting to be a further blight on humanity, I of course jumped into the Bad Beat on Cancer, featuring a few pros (amongst them Rafe Furst and Andy Bloch). I have had some success in these tournaments before; whether it is because I know it's for charity and that I am going to donate my winnings anyway, it seems to help my game. I started playing, and called my parents, trying to multi-task raising like a beast while catching up with my folks. This can be a little fun when Rafe Furst arrives at your table. I managed to not totally lose concentration while talking to Dad about Australia winning back the Ashes, and was able to get back to work once I finished the phone call.

Thus it was with some glee that I got into a pot with Rafe four-handed, he slow-played his flopped set of 2s, I hit my set of 3s on the turn, and I bust a WSOP Bracelet winner. As my prize I was moved soon afterwards to a new table... where I had Guin and Waffles on my immediate right. This was endlessly entertaining, if a little annoying. I kept telling myself that I would get into a pot as soon as one of them didn't... but that never happened. Their chip stacks went up, and down, back up, and back down, until finally Guin landed the knockout punch.

Guin continued his roller-coaster ways, however, and we tangled in a few hands. In my favourite hand of the tournament I re-raised him pre-flop, and then pushed in response to his check on the flop... with the hammer, of course. Here's where I wish I had a screenshot. A little later I made my mistake of the tournament, getting it all in against him when I had a mid-pair, and he had a monster. However luck was on my side, as I managed to suck out, crippling Guin in the process. It took one more bad beat to put him out of his misery, but the damage had been done.

After that I proceeded to play a bit of Big Stack Poker[tm]. As the bubble approached I was in good shape, but then I lost a race against a maniac that would have given me a humongous chip lead going into the final table, but it wasn't to be.

Instead I was forced to battle until the end, and though I didn't pull it out, I felt pretty good.

The maniac, MrShimSham, built a huge stack lead and took it to the house. And while it would have been nice to win, I know that at least the 1st and 3rd place money is all going to charity.

Thanks Kat.

* * * * * * * *

BTW, if you wanted an augmented view into my Vegas experiences, the Princess has just posted "All The Things That Garth Forgot". Check it out.

4 Comments:

  • stupid cancer.

    By Blogger Maigrey, at 8:14 AM  

  • Great title... that event had me suffering from a handful of badbeats... was a blast to have bloggers attacking each other... wish Waffles was doing one of his videos of the table.

    By Blogger Guin, at 10:52 AM  

  • Did you get your buyin back for busting a red name?

    And thanks for busting Rafe Furst. Can I use you to exact revenge on any other pros that mess with me?

    By Blogger Tommy, at 11:23 AM  

  • Tommy, I didn't get my buy-in back because it was a charity event (I think). Which is fine, as I would have just donated it back again.

    I had forgotten you needed someone to Bring the Pain against Rafe - which is probably why I was able to do it. So I am available to wreak vengeance upon any you Pros you need... provided I forget that I actually need to do it. I think that is key.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home