Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Which World Cup?

Before you finish filling in your brackets and planning on how much work you can avoid so you can watch March Madness, I thought I should let you know about a bigger sporting tournament that has just started.

That's right, I just said bigger.

Yesterday marked the official start of the Cricket World Cup, held every four years to crown the dominant nation in the one day form of the game (that's right, I said the "one day" version of the game - the other version of the game played amongst nations are "Test Matches", which can go for up to five days. Yeah, you heard me).

Today I'll be monitoring the Australia vs Scotland match very carefully. Australia are the reigning world champions, and the number one cricket side in the world. Scotland are, well, Scotland. Nonetheless I'd like to see us smack Scotland about like we should to a Third Cricketing World nation.

I'm tempted to try and contact Comcast to see if I can order a game or two... but the fact that I can't even see their offerings from their website feels me with foreboding. Out of all the Customer Service operations I have had to deal with in the US, they might come dead last - and that's saying something.

Until then - Go Aussie!

UPDATE: My spies inform me that Irish Jim (who provided the other accent at the WPBT Winter Classic last December) is in Jamaica for the World Cup. I have a couple of mates who are down there as well, and I think you can all join me in saying: Bastards!

8 Comments:

  • I got addicted to cricket during my month in OZ. I'm now a Aussie cricket fan especially after I met Shane Warne.

    By Blogger Dr. Pauly, at 9:26 AM  

  • Bastards!

    By Blogger Maigrey, at 11:11 AM  

  • C'mon "monitoring Australia v Scotland closely". You expect what exactly? An edict from the ICC that all the Australian bowlers have to switch arms?

    Radio host here this morning joked that Hogg got in trouble with Ponting after his 40, because the last four times Australia scored more than 325, they've lost. :)

    By Blogger Michael Albert, at 1:43 PM  

  • Hahaha! I actuallly didn't know that stat about the scoring over 325.

    But seriously, here are my reasons for monitoring the game closely:

    1) I am a cricket starved Australian in the US, in the right time zone for the game. Wheeeeeeeee!

    2) Did you miss that England beat us in the last One Day series we played? In Australia? I mean, England?!

    3) So I want to ensure that our boys play themselves into some form. Nothing other than total annihilation is acceptable. And when Scotland was 0/21 in the 6th over... but now it seems that the game is back on track.

    Now I am just moderately annoyed at myself that it didn't occur to me that the new Irish pub within walking distance might have actually had the game. I suck.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 1:48 PM  

  • "2) Did you miss that England beat us in the last One Day series we played? In Australia? I mean, England?!"

    No, and we, by which I mean, my land of residence (NZ), not my land of birth (Canada -- that would stretch the bounds of credibility), then whupped you 3-0 in NZ.

    So it was Australia B ... it's the principle of the thing!

    By Blogger Michael Albert, at 2:54 PM  

  • Hey, beating Australia B is nothing to be ashamed of! And though I am (unfortunately) way out of the loop when it comes to sport in my home country, NZ has a chance to do OK. I work with a bunch of Indians, and I mentioned NZ as being a potential dark(ish) horse.

    So I guess I better apologise now for completely torpedoing your WC hopes.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 2:56 PM  

  • Ricky Pointing kicked major Scottish arse today!

    By Blogger Dr. Pauly, at 6:54 PM  

  • And this sort of thing doesn't happen to baseball players in batting practice.

    Sigh ... NZ do indeed have a chance if they can manage to get something like a complete team on the pitch. At least there's some time before the "real" part of the tournament starts.

    By Blogger Michael Albert, at 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home