Friday, April 13, 2007

Kryptonite

I am continuing to examine and fine-tune my online poker diet, as I try and look at playing in tournaments and games which I think suit my bankroll, sleeping patterns, and overall game. Right now this means continuing to hit the Daily Double on Full Tilt when I can, though earlier this week I entered the nightly Stars tournament at 8pm on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to see my starting stack was 3k - effectively making it a Deep Stack tournament. Sign me up! The 8pm start time is a little more problematic for me to hit it with any regularity, but I'm going to try and get there when I can.

I've also decided that for the time being I am going to avoid the bigger buy-in tournaments unless I manage to satellite in - and right now this probably means the Stars Million, as the Sunday 11:30am tournament is a personal favourite.

Last night I was able to hit the Daily Double after returning from the gym, to once again try my hand at this tournament I enjoy so much. (I'm trying to get myself to the gym more regularly - between footy training on Tuesday and a game on Saturday I figure once a week at the gym should get me in decent shape. Right now my body doesn't know what has hit it.)

As sometimes occurs, the two tournaments were a study in contrasts; I could get nothing going in DDA, but in DDB I was a card rack and managed to (almost) bust someone in the first orbit when my AA held up against villain's KK.

I made it to the first break in both tournaments, just below my starting stack in DDA, and still sitting pretty in DDB. The second hour wasn't kind, and I found myself in trouble early in the third hour in DDA, forced to go out with a whimper and not a bang. Midway through the third hour things went pear-shaped in DDB, and I found myself short-stacked. Looking down at AJo in MP, with two limpers before me, I decided it was as good a time as any and pushed my remaining chips into the middle. Which is when the button pushed over me. Uh Oh. With AA. Uh Oh.

J on the flop. J on the turn.

Life!

Two hands later my AKs beat another mid-stack's KQs... and I was off! I spent the middle stage of the tournament around the top 10, going as high as 3, as I managed to occasionally pick off blinds and antes in addition to having my occasional big hands pay off. At one point the guy I almost busted in the first orbit reappeared at my table with an extremely healthy chipstack. This lasted for a while until I finished the job, busting him and his JJ with QQ - which put me back into the top 10.

As we got down to 27 or so left, my table had heaps of chips. The lowest stack on my table would have been middle of the pack on the other two tables... which was when I made a mis-step, reading my opponent incorrectly and paying off flopped trips, which crippled me. I punched back immediately, working my way back up to a semblance of a stack.

The next hand I got the hand I am now calling "Kryptonite": AQ. As previously mentioned, I am going through a stretch where I can't win with it, and can't win against it. It is getting to the point where if I see I have it, and know I need to push with it, I am already gathering my things to leave. Likewise if I get in against it, no matter my holding, I almost immediately wave the white flag. Last week I got my AKo in, and was called all-in by AQ - I instantly went "Uh oh", and saw a Q spike on the river.

This time it was a little more conventional, as someone woke up with AA, and I couldn't pull an AJ-like miracle. Even though I finished deep, I can't help shake the feeling I should have done better.

Next time.

_________________

The mighty AlCantHang has been working some of his magic, looking to create a Blogger Bracelet Race. He is doing his utmost to ensure that this is a blogger only event, as we try and send one of our own to the WSOP. Because of this we are guarding the password with our lives to try and ensure the integrity of the event. Here are the details:

Tournament name: Blogger Bracelet Race
When: Sunday, April 29th, 7pm ET
Game: NLHE Deepstack
Buyin: $24+2 or token

For the password, please email blogger_wsop@yahoo.com. Those of you who get the password, please keep it under your hat. Let's send a blogger to Vegas!

2 Comments:

  • Okay, on non poker topic but a very aussie topic...both our teams suck. We're both going to break our maiden this weekend and I must remind you that we have some stakes on this.

    Of course, I STRONGLY suspect I'll be paying you off as the demons suck significantly more than your precious Dockers.

    I'll wave to the cameras for you from The MCG.

    By Blogger Jules, at 4:18 PM  

  • Hey G, I need your e-mail address so I can send you the list to judge. I had it but i must have lost it somehow. Hit me up when you get a chance--- surflexus AT comcast dot net....thnx

    By Blogger surflexus, at 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home