Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fast and Frenzied

Just over a month ago I posted about another writing event that had sprung from the same minds who brought you National Novel Writing Month. This time it's Script Frenzy! I have various reasons for demurring, and refusing to take the plunge this time. These include:

1) My June is PACKED. Aussie Rules Football games against North Carolina and Boston, plus trips to Chicago and to Las Vegas for the WSOP.
2) Work is currently insane
3) I have never written a screenplay
4) I have only vague ideas of what I want to write about
5) Screenplay formatting scares me (and I haven't gotten around to looking at my screenplay software options)

Given 1-5 above, do I think I can write a 20,000 word screenplay in 30 days? I'm not sure. But I'm gonna try.

This weekend I almost picked up a copy of my Best Airport Bookstore Purchase Ever, a book by William Goldman called "Which Lie Did I Tell?" I don't own it anymore, as it was part of my worldly possessions that I divested myself of prior to moving to the US. You might not recognise the name, but Goldman is the screenwriter behind such films as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, All The President's Men, The Princess Bride, Misery amongst others. I don't think I had ever considered writing a screenplay before, but Goldman's tales made me laugh out loud, and for the first time consider even trying my hand at the form.

I have to admit being daunted by the unfamiliar format, as well as my other reasons stated, but I figure I may as well have a tilt at it. Hopefully one month from now I'll be the proud and still-mostly-sane owner of a horrible first rough draft of a screenplay.

Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

  • Good luck, I hopped on the band wagon after a long post and a few Guinnesses. I bailed on the NaNoWriMo last November, and I don't especially like the odds of me finishing this one--but... why not??

    Prop bet for finishing? Will you be at the Summer Classic?

    By Blogger meanhappyguy, at 1:54 AM  

  • You may, or may not, be interested in my latest post (I'm nothing if not definite). There must be a screenplay in "mispronouncing Australian words".

    Well done in the World Cup -- bloody Kiwis choked badly. Mind you, you made pretty heavy weather of beating Wales last weekend in the "real" football code!

    By Blogger Michael Albert, at 3:53 AM  

  • MeanHappyGuy - GL in the Frenzy mate! I unfortunately can't make it to the Summer Classic, I have to play Aussie Rules Football. It happens.

    Michael - I'll have to check out your latest post. Thanks for the cricket props, but yeah, we need to pull our finger our for the Rugby. Not looking good at this stage!

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home