Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Enter the Squid

I don't want to cause alarm, but there is a Pirate Tavern in Silver Spring. Really. Check it out (WARNING: sound). But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the start.

Saunter is in the market for a white ink tattoo. These are a little unusual, so she has been undertaking some fact finding and investigation before she chooses an artist to do the inking. For me it has been educational; what I know about tattoos you could fit in a matchbox without taking the matches out first (slight exaggeration: you may have to stuff extra matches into the matchbox). Now I have progressed to a stage where I can even hold a discussion about blood lining. Sure, I'll probably be wrong, or at least wildly inaccurate, but I can hold a discussion.

(In case you were wondering, no I am not planning on getting any ink myself anytime soon. Not that I am necessarily ant-tattoo, I just have no idea what I would get. The only two things I have been able to come up with - barcode for a can of coke, or a poker hand of 23457 - have been widely described as "lame" and "really lame".)

But back to Saunter. As part of her recon mission she had come across a tattoo place in Silver Spring that she wanted to check out. I had never been to Silver Spring, despite having lived in the DC area for almost four years as I fear change, and new things scare me. Despite my reticence about heading into Maryland, we jumped onto the Metro and arrived at our destination without mishap.

Silver Spring appeared to actually be a pretty groovy neighbourhood, and any suburb that contains the Discovery Channel headquarters (featuring a museum with dinosaurs!) can't be bad, right? Right. As we made our way to the tattoo parlour using Saunter's mud map, I suddenly stopped in my tracks.

"Dude! Pirate Tavern!"

Saunter looked at me askance.

"What?"

"There!" I said, gesturing wildly across the street. "Pirate Tavern!"

Lurking across the intersection was an establishment professing to be the home to many a buccaneer. Naturally I was intrigued and a little aroused.

"We are clearly going there once you check out the tattoo place," I stated, brooking no argument. Saunter was definitely down with the Tavern, so no argument was brooked.

The tattoo place seemed very professional, with the artists being very confident, clear and informed. I almost decided to get something on the spot, before I remembered I was an indecisive pansy. But my thoughts could not remain on tattoos for long. Saunter and I finished leafing through the many portfolios, and eventually stepped back into the street. I may have lifted Saunter bodily into the air, such was my haste to retrace our steps.

"We're really going in, aren't we?" Saunter asked.

"You betcha."

We swept into the Tavern, swaggering and leering in a manner befitting denizens of the establishment. I informed the pirate wench at the door that we were just going to sit at the bar, which she seemed to think was only natural for such rogues as ourselves. Either that or she figured us for a couple of drunkards looking for a hit of sweet sweet alcohol. We bellied up to the bar, and perused the drinks list for any signs of villainy or mischief. And that's when I saw it.

The Squid.

Absolut Vodka, Captain Morgan's Rum, some other rum, Peach Schnapps, lemon/lime, and sour mix.

I had to have one immediately.

The drink appeared in a large glass, indicating that the Squid it was representing must have been a fair size indeed. I double-checked the glass for any ink, but the glass passed the eye test. But what about the taste test?

After one sip my first thought was: oh my God, this drink could destroy me. I think I could easily down Squid after Squid in rapid succession, though after the fourth one I would probably hit the floor.

Needless to say I was hooked.

Somehow I managed to avoid staying at the Tavern until closing and attempting to lead the other bar residents in sea shanties and general carousing. Instead we headed out for some food with which to battle with the Squid for supremacy over my sobriety. We settled on an African joint, where I had goat pepper soup, followed by goat curry. Saunter dared me to get some extra goat on the side, but since I feared the wait staff might cut off my Heineken privileges I demurred. The dinner was excellent, but we did not return to the Tavern for more encounters of the Squid kind, deciding that we would return to its murky depths sometime in the near future.

My day with the Squid will come.


Pirate Dave says "The Squid gets my thumbs up!"


__________________

Script Frenzy update: I'm at 3580 words. 16,420 words to go in 19 days (including today). After pumping out over 2k last night I'm feeling confident, despite knowing that I am not going to get much (if any) done this weekend. I'm also not going to have a ton of time at the end of the month, for some strange reason (Vegas). Time to buckle down, and do what I can.

4 Comments:

  • Can't say's any proper pirate'd be caught dead havin' any drink what comes with Peach Schnappes in it, but maybe things be different in yer port 'o call.

    Whatever.

    I'll be in DC for the rest of the week and would be up for a pre-Mookie drink (probably not a Squid) on Wednesday night. I might even buy.

    By Blogger Jestocost, at 2:13 PM  

  • Pirate Dave loves the Peach Schnapps.

    Drop me an email at garth_e@hotmailDOTCOM, Jestocost.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 2:28 PM  

  • Downtown Silver Spring is a fun place. Next time you're up there, check out The Austin Grill. They have some pretty cool live music to go with some good TexMex style eats.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 5:02 PM  

  • Drinking fruity peach schnapp drinks, huh? Is that what you have become?

    By Blogger StB, at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home