Saturday, June 30, 2007

I Made The Second Day

That is not a typo: I am alive and through to the second day. I currently have 14.3k in chips, and with 98ish of the 209 runners alive, I appear to be in 48th or so. For some reason PokerNews has me as busted(!), but hey, at least I am on the leaderboard! At the start of the last level I was actually 2nd or 3rd in chips, with 28k, but I had a brutal final half hour. Such is Triple Draw!

I am completely fried, and need to sleep (though we kick off again at 4pm PDT), so some quick highlights.

OMG there were Pros everywhere. At my starting tabled was Victor Ramdin (on my left), and Miami John Cernuto, plus some other guys who are Pros but whose names I didn't know (natch). At the end of the first level Shawn Sheikhan showed up as well. Sheikhy was the first to bust, which was greeted with amusement by all. Towards the end of the day Chris Ferguson also showed up. Nice!

I should mention that I am in for 5k. I double bought to start off with, and just after getting drilled in two successive hands (including a big multi-way pot Miami John was dealt a pat wheel, and I had the misfortune to make a smooth 8 on the second draw... yeah, that hurt) I dipped just below 2k, so I rebought. I then did the double-addon at the end of the rebuy period.

More highlights: tilting Sheiky by getting him to pay me off a few times; tilting Chris Ferguson by getting him to pay me off twice when I had just got him beat, with my re-raising after the second draw; chatting to Victor Ramdin all day (super nice guy) about a bunch of things, including cricket; chatting with Miami John (another really nice guy); chatting to Chris Fargis; chatting to Andy Bloch about the various and sundry ways we were getting the shaft by Harrah's, etc. etc.; watching Eli Elezra get a massage for the entire tournament until he was busted; noticing David Sklansky behind me, and then noticing Brandi Hawbecker show up... I could go on and on; having a photographer notice my Elvis glasses perched behind the chips causing him to take a bunch of photos - causing Victor to suggest I put them on, which I did, as well as displaying my "Cool Hand Luke"necklace (not sure who he was with, but I hope those pictures turn up!).

For me the best part was realising that I could actually hold my own with these people. Playing such a niche event, and doing well, has a way of at least giving me the illusion of credibility. I had do problems approaching people like Gavin Griffin (sporting a wonderfule hot pink mohawk-like job) and Bill Chen after the day's play, or approaching Andy Bloch and having a chat, for instance.

When I started to make my run I realised that my aims had gone from "try not to suck" to "I can hang with these guys... I want to go deep!". The last half hour put a bit of a damper on things, but only temporarily. As you might be able to tell I am over the moon right now.

So, back into the breach tomorrow afternoon, and we'll see how we go.

A big thanks to everyone cheering me on, and to the blogger crew reporting on the WSOP for the support. And a MASSIVE thanks to all those people who told me to damn the torpedoes and go for it; I was wavering about playing this event big time, and the final push that made me do it probably came from Spaceman as we were chatting late last night. But everyone who told me I should give it a shake helped me make the decision I think I wanted to make all along.

Alright. Time to try and sleep now. Wish me luck (again!). I want to make a lot of wheels tomorrow!

________________

That may be the most number of exclamation points I have ever made in a post. Can't you tell I'm amped? And tired? I thought so.

8 Comments:

  • woooohooooo!! Keep going babe and we'll keep sweating you. Need to give those pokernetwork boys a bit of a kicking to notice you still exist!

    Good luck and damn right you can play with those boys!

    By Blogger Jules, at 7:56 AM  

  • I am so THRILLED for you! You can absolutely hang with these guys, and I look forward to more updates.

    By Blogger Heather, at 9:00 AM  

  • Take it down mofo. Pros are self-inflated donkeys. Run them over and grab that bracelet.

    By Blogger Fuel55, at 9:29 AM  

  • Awesome! I wish I was there to give the standard public service announcement. Take it down!

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 9:38 AM  

  • final table final table final table final table final table final table . . . .

    By Blogger peacecorn, at 11:19 AM  

  • FINISH THEM!!!!

    By Blogger Donkeypuncher, at 11:30 AM  

  • Way to got Garth!!!

    IG

    By Blogger Irongirl01, at 3:23 PM  

  • Hope you got some rest. Play like a champ!

    By Blogger Zeem, at 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home