Thursday, October 25, 2007

NaNo NaNo

It is with some alarm that I note that it's the last week of October. Why? Other than the fact that it seems this year is speeding by, it also means that I am mere days away from 30 days of literary insanity.

Yes folks, it's NaNoWriMo time again. November is National Novel Writing Month, when aspiring authors strap themselves in for 720 hours of keyboard pounding in an attempt to hit the goal of writing a novel of no less than 50,000 words in 30 days.

A previous NaNoWriMo winner in 2001 and 2002, last year I was talked into the endeavour by Joe Speaker and Gracie at the last moment. Despite this setback I managed to write a semi-coherent novel featuring an alcoholic grappling with the issues his lifestyle caused fitting in with "normal" society. Yes, it wasn't much of a reach.

Many other people set out with me on the journey, though to my knowledge I was the only one to make it to the finish line, being able to leverage my previous experience navigating the journey, and thanks to writing 12k in one day. A special shout out must also go to stimulants of all varieties.

This year I'm doing it again. And so should you. Information and such can be found at the NaNoWriMo website.

Despite knowing more than 24 hours in advance that I am going to once more tilt at some windmills, I have no idea what I'm going to write about. (And talking to Gracie, she is also a little adrift right now). So, what better thing to do then to canvass for ideas and suggestions? Feel free to supply ideas, characters, settings, and stupid challenges in the comments, so Gracie and I can use these as fuel for inspiration. Or just tell me that you're signing up as well, so we can have our own little support group as we take a chance attempting the extraordinary.

And remember, for all those people who take the plunge:

7 Comments:

  • Thanks Garth! (One day I'll have comments back, and a less than eighteen-step way to post an entry for my very own self.)

    But on November 1st, I'll be all moved into the Dome, will have the laptop fired up, and be ready for long nights of writing on the porch in the Floridian woods, just like Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

    (Except she didn't have to troll the internet for ideas.)

    By Blogger peacecorn, at 3:34 PM  

  • I should add that she WAS mostly liquored up the whole time.

    By Blogger peacecorn, at 3:41 PM  

  • Martinis? check.
    Google docs ready to go? check.
    Topic? sort of.

    I'm ready to go.

    By Blogger katitude, at 5:21 PM  

  • I'm in. Let's rock this.

    By Blogger Matt Silverthorn, at 10:56 PM  

  • Where can one read the novel you wrote last year? Or is it how many beers must be drank before you will give up the book?

    By Blogger StB, at 3:20 PM  

  • Stb, so far only one person other than myself has read the novel. While I don't think it's too shabby, I'd probably like to have a stab at overhauling the thing before presenting it in front of a wider audience.

    So: probably a lot of beer.

    By Blogger Garthmeister J., at 3:22 PM  

  • Nice blog! More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract much more visitors to your blog.

    Greets Peter

    By Blogger Peter, at 6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home