Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Rice vs Vocabularly

While checking out the latest "A Softer World" comic, I noticed a little blurb down the bottom which I just had to share:

Don't you wish there was a way you could feel morally satisfied about your internet time wastage AND make yourself feel smart? Today I discovered the most adorably efficient way to accomplish both goals: Free Rice. It's a multiple choice vocabulary game, and for each word you guess correctly, the advertisers on the site donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program. Oh, and the competitive, ego-driven side of this? With each 3 correct answers, you go up a level and the words get harder. The maximum level is 50, though according to the FAQ, few get past 48.

Oh yes, this is addictive. Clicking away during a meeting I managed to get up to level 45, though I'm not done yet. Check it out!

Update: I made it to 49! But 50 has remained elusive. Tell you what though, I've donated a shit ton of rice...

Update II: YES! Made it to 50, though I kept on getting stuck on 49, dammit. When I noticed I was on 43 000 grains of rice, which meant I had to get 2150 questions right to hit 50. I am positive that that can be beaten, and soundly. Stupid 49...
________________

Due to circumstances beyond control (stupid maintenance people) I didn't get any writing done last night, but I'm sitting at 42k. It looks like I'm not going to be done with my plot unless I do some hand-waving and stream-lining, or if I just end on a cliffhanger. Right now I'm leaning towards a cliffhanger, but we'll see how we go...


2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home