Monday, May 12, 2008

The WNBA and Marketing

For those of you watching the NBA playoffs, you may have come across the new ads for the upcoming WNBA season. The new campaign is taking a brave new tack... and by "brave" I mean "retarded". Check out the WNBA site for some examples.

It appears that the next weapon in the crack WNBA marketing team is reverse psychology. Let's go to a transcript of one of their ads, narrated by Candace Parker, the new WNBA star-to-be who just joined the league from Tennessee.

"I'm sorry, but you couldn't pay me to watch women's basketball. Nothing exciting ever happens. Look at the WNBA. The league has stayed the same for ten years. There's no new blood. What kind of future does that league have? None that I can see. Expect great."

So let's have a look at this. "I'm sorry, but you couldn't pay me to watch women's basketball". OK, so apparently a lot of people think that exact same thing. After hearing the statement, many of the millions of people watching the NBA playoffs probably nodded in agreement.

We're not off to a good start.

"Nothing exciting happens."

In fact, people right now might be getting bored during your commercial. Bored, while agreeing.

"Look at the WNBA. The league has stayed the same for ten years."

Right now, basically every person watching this ad probably had the same reaction I did: the WNBA has somehow survived for ten years?! Holy crap! I assume the intended reaction is meant to be a guilt 1-2 punch. "Man, I'm such a douche for not wanting to watch women's basketball. And it's been around for ten years! It's practically my duty to try and watch some! "

And then they go in for the kill: "What kind of future does that league have? None that I can see." So, not only do they defuse the guilt by pointing out that hey, the league has survived for ten years despite your disdain, they probably caused you to think: "I'd like to lay money on them not surviving another ten years."

I expect the next WNBA ad campaign to be something like: "The WNBA. Remember, your mom is a woman. Won't you watch some women's basketball? For her? Please?"

Seriously. Just show some freaking clips of good basketball. How hard is that?

2 Comments:

  • clips of good basketball? fans wanna see monster jams, not lay-ups and missed jumpers. it's a miracle this league didn't die 5 hrs ago.

    By Blogger $mokkee, at 4:04 AM  

  • What is the award for worst commercial, the Razzie? In those terms, this is an award winning marketing campaign!

    By Blogger StB, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home